Tuesday, September 4

Creative Weekend

So now that you know a little about me from my previous posts…I have to say I'm now obsessed with creating. Every spare second is spent at my desk trying to create. I’ve had some dry spells when nothing is there in my mind and other times I just can’t create something fast enough. I think my art has “grown” since starting my first atc’s last year at this time. I have more confidence in my ability to create collages. I can kind of “feel” what works and what doesn’t with my atc’s. But now I want to create bigger pieces and experiment with painting.

I don’t want to have one “style” of art that I just make over and over, I want to experiment with all kinds of art mediums. There are so many artists out there that I admire and they make it look so effortless. But although I’ve painted years ago it was always closely following a photograph. I want to create freely, “from the heart” as many say, or from the mind, is what comes to mind, lol. I’m not an overly demonstrative person, and I tend to keep my most personal feelings inside. But I want to be passionate in my creating; I want to be able to paint with a flourish (and have it actually look like something). I hope that time will come. It’s even hard for me to blog about my feelings, but it’s also easy in a way, i.e. hiding behind a computer. I don’t get much support of my art from my family; they are pretty flippant (except for my dad and step-mom they are supportive) about the whole thing. My family is of the mind “get a real job” and make some real money. They’re probably right, but for the time being I want to take this road and see where it leads me. I know I won’t ever be famous, but something inside me has changed since I found art. I’m happier in a sense (but maybe that’s just the meds talking, lol). I’m not like jumping for joy kind of happy, but just content with myself right now. I’m not thinking the “dark thoughts” like I was this time last year. I’m excited to get up in the morning or the evening, depending on my sleep pattern at the time. I do my best work when I’m up at night, its quiet, and no disturbances.

I don’t have the money to take classes or go to those awesome ‘fests, so I’m surfing the ‘net and self-teaching by trial and error (there’s a heck of a lot of “error” too.) I’m so thankful for those artists who take the time to post tutorials and how-to’s. Below is a piece I did this weekend (this was a good creative weekend for me). Although the style is not something I would think of doing on my own, it was fun and the inspiration was from a lady whose art I really like, Debra of mtjoyschool. I'll be keeping this one for myself. The A3 is a little hidden meaning, all three of my kids' names begin with "A". Pretty clever eh? Well ttfn off to drive my rounds to pick up my two kids from school.


a3 5x7 acrylic

1 comment:

Debra Greenleaf said...

Hi Kim. I like your little pop art piece and am honored to be the inspiration! I plan on answering your email a little later, when I can write uninterrupted... but first...TAG! I'm tagging you...please visit my blog and read the last post to see what it's about. Dec GC