Saturday, September 1

My Humble Arty Beginnings...

New tags listed on etsy

I guess I’ve always been arty. I remember as a kid drawing and coloring a lot. I loved color books and I always wanted my crayons sharp (wonder what that means??) My best subject in school as a kid was art, but I think I even got bad grades in that too. In middle school I remember I had an art teacher who, to me then, was soo “far out there”. She wore bright “hippy” clothes, had this big bleach blond hairdo, and wore giant jewelry pieces (I’d probably want to be her friend now). I do have to say she introduced me to some “real” art styles. She showed us how to do block prints, actually giving us moody, pre-pubescent kids sharp instruments in which to carve our piece of pine! I remember making some kind of nature scene with trees and using a brayer and ink and then laying down a piece of paper to transfer the ink. I thought that was way cool! We also made and fired clay, and I remember having my purple brontosaurus style dinosaur with me until it was lost or broken when I was living on my own. I also remember doing some paper mache’ and collage.

Then in high school I finally got some formal instruction, back when you could take three art periods and screw around in two of them (much to the teachers displeasure) and all your art supplies were given to you by the school. Now parents have to cough up big bucks so their kids can take an art class, or ride the bus, or go on a field trip…sorry, I burped up a little bitterness. I had a great teacher and I still remember (most) of everything I learned. I mostly painted then, did a few pen and ink and graphite sketches, but I never could master drawing people. They always ended up looking someone in need of emergency plastic surgery (back when plastic surgery was a secret to be kept in the closet and not bragged about or given to 17 year olds because they ask). I just recently found out my brother has one of my huge paintings, which was a nice surprise. He thought I knew he had it. I want to take a pic of it, but my camera just died. Which brings me into a whole new quandary…I need a camera to take pics of my art in order to sell it, to make money in order to buy a new camera! Oyvay! But I digress….

Well, gotta run babysitting my darling devilish granddaughter until Sunday, so only had a few minutes while she napped...and that's a whole 'nother blog.

Dreams of a Boy
A recently listed piece on my etsy

No comments: