Friday, August 1

Black and White Photography Love

I love black and white photography. I keep forgetting that Canon digital camera can take black and white photos! (along with many other functions I'll probably never learn). I guess its how the subject in the photo seems to be the only thing you focus on, instead of all the extraneous background in a black & white that makes it so intriguing . I wish I was a "photographer". I wish I could see a subject and make it seem "more" on film that it was in real life. So these are my measly attempt at being a photographer and trying to make a black & white seem "arty", lol. There's always room for improvement, but it satisfies me...for now.

I remember when instant pictures came out, i.e. polaroid. We couldn't get enough of those new fangled color pictures. I remember my parents getting the "new" Polaroid, where you had to use this tube like device and run it over the photo to I guess "seal it" or something. Then came the shaking of the Polaroid picture. How iconic was that (there's even a line in a song about it!) I look back at the color pics of my newly married parents in the late 50's and love the muted colors. I see how people use imaging programs to take new pictures and manipulate the color to seem more "old" if you know what I mean. I also love when they add just one element of color in a black and white pic. I also remember my parents having a Brownie camera. I sure wish we still had that, not that I'd use it, but just for display.
Someday...I'll have a fancy digital SLR. My daughter and boyfriend have a fancy Canon that I covet. I've made her promise I have first "dibs" if they ever decide to get rid of it. She assures me they won't.
I just finished this latest piece, I wanted to dip into some painting which I haven't done in awhile. I've been loving this color combination lately and wanted to use them. I'm pretty satisfied with how this one turned out. I painted it on an old book cover, so it has a ragged edge. I pick up books by the handful whenever and where ever I can, and like that I can re-use them before they go into landfills.

No comments: