Saturday, July 19

A Trip to the Zoo

A huge weird flower

A couple weeks ago I was having a bad time, so I took a little trip to stay with my oldest DD and grand D. I had to put down one of my jack russell terriers so I just had to “run away” so to speak, and not be in the house where I knew it would be tough. I wanted to go to the San Francisco Zoo with them as I hadn’t been there in many years. In fact my youngest DD and son were tiny the last time we went, maybe 12-14 yrs ago? I was a little dismayed as alot of the exhibits were closed and areas of construction were evident. But there were many new exhibits/enclosures that were modern and soo much better for the animals. I'm sure it will be really nice once they finish.


The giraffes had a 1 yr old and a 5 mo. old baby. We watched them at feeding time and talked to the keepers while we watched.



These were all juvenile gorillas, doing much of nothing. They had a nice enclosure with a viewing window.



The last flamingo was doing this dance in the water where he/she stompped his feet each in turn and then spun around while doing it. I told the grandbaby that the flamingo was dancing for her!


This prairie dog sat at the viewing window for the longest time, like it was in a trance. Then all of a sudden just turned and ran away. Cute!



I could watch the meerkats for hours, they're such characters.







I don't remember this "island" with birds of prey from before, everyone rushed to the edge when they saw this bald eagle emerge to drink. I had to wait until it was clear of people to get a decent pic.





The female lioness was down in the corner of the "moat" grooming! (because she can!)


I had the best time with my granddaughter!

No comments: